B-2 Tourist Visa

B-2 Visa for Visitors

B-2 visas permit entry into the U.S. temporarily for activities including tourism; social visits to friends or relatives; medical treatment; participating in conventions of social organizations; participating in amateur musical or sports events; accompanying D or B-1 visitors; and accompanying a non-spouse long-time partner (regardless of gender) in E, H, or L status.

A B-2 visitor is not allowed to work in the U.S. To prove eligibility, you must demonstrate that you: intend to remain for a specific, limited period; have funds to cover expenses in the U.S.; have social and economic ties abroad; and maintain a residence outside the U.S. that will ensure your return abroad at the end of the visit. Applications for a B-2 visa may be made directly at a U.S. embassy or consulate abroad.

Prospective students seeking admission in B-2 status who plan to change to F-1 student status must declare this intent to immigration officials at the port of entry. The immigration official will note this intention on the person’s Form I-94, which is required in order for the student to change to F-1 status while inside the U.S.

B-2 Duration

Tourists are usually given stays of up to six months.